When you allow your underage child to attend a house party, likely, you do so with the assurance that responsible adults will be present. You may even speak with the parents who will be in attendance at the house party to confirm this. When any person attends a party at a private premises, it is the social host who will be held legally liable should something go wrong.

Parents who are indirectly hosting a house party through their child have the legal responsibility to ensure that all those in attendance are reasonably safe. They should also ensure that no alcohol is served to those who are underage. If your child suffered damages as a result of being served alcohol at a party, or if they become involved in a car accident due to underage alcohol consumption at a house party, you may be able to take legal action to claim damages from the social hosts. The following are some key points you should be aware of before taking action.

Adult party hosts have a certain duty of care

When it comes to addressing underage drinking at parties, the adult social hosts present have a duty of care. This means that they should not directly serve alcohol to minors, but also that they should not make it available. If a minor suffers an injury due to alcohol consumed at the house party, the social hosts may be held liable simply for making alcohol available.

To hold an adult liable, you must show negligence or intent

For an adult to be held liable for damages, it should be proven that they knew or should have known that a party attendee was underage and that they had access to alcohol. If they continued to make alcohol available in this circumstance, they were acting with negligence. Similarly, if an intoxicated guest proceeds to get behind the wheel, a social host may be held liable for providing alcohol if they knew or should have known that they were intending to drive.

If your child or loved one has been negatively affected by negligence at a house party, it may be possible to take legal action. Doing so could help them gain compensation for the pain and suffering caused.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • AV | Martindale-Hubbell | Peer Rated for Highest Level pf Professional Excellence
  • Super Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating 10 | Superb | Top Attorney
  • Best's Recommended Insurance Attorneys 2014

Injured? Do Not Wait To Contact A New Haven Attorney

We are dedicated to helping our injured clients obtain fair value for their injuries and losses. We look forward to speaking with you about your legal needs. To speak with an attorney at our firm, call 866-475-8805 or contact us by email.

  • Super Lawyers AV | Preeminent(R) | Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
  • Avvo Rating 10 | Superb | Top Attorney
  • Best's Recommended Insurance Attorneys 2014

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy