In Connecticut, pet owners are subject to strict liability for injuries caused by their dogs. Connecticut law makes pet owners responsible for dog bite injuries as well as injuries caused by accidents that are caused by their dogs. For example, if a dog gets loose and jumps on an elderly person in a playful manner and the elderly man or woman sustains a broken hip, neck injury or head injury, the dog owner is responsible for the injuries sustained by the injured party.
Connecticut's dog bite laws also make dog "keepers" responsible for dog bites and accidents when a dog is in their care. For example, assume that a dog owner is on vacation and has left his or her dog with a friend or professional dog care center. The friend or dog care center that is responsible for watching the dog is responsible for injuries caused by dogs in their care.
Damages For Dog Bite Injuries And Dog Accident Injuries
If you or a loved one has been injured by a dog, you may be entitled to compensation for injuries and losses, which may include:
- Necessary medical expenses, which may include doctor's bills, hospital bills or rehabilitative care. If you have sustained scars or disfigurement, you may receive compensation for necessary cosmetic or reconstructive surgeries.
- Necessary counseling services, which may include counseling for an adult or child who has sustained anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder or other mental injuries.
- Pain and suffering, which includes the physical and emotional pain you have suffered as a result of a dog bite attack or dog accident injury. Emotional pain and suffering includes the fear you experienced as well as any continuing trauma you suffer.
- Other available damages, including lost wages, lost earning capacity if you have sustained a permanent disabling injury, or punitive damages in extraordinary cases.
- Wrongful death, if you have lost a loved one due to a dog bite attack or accident, you may receive compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Help For Connecticut Dog Bite Victims
If you or a family member has been injured by a dog, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer at Loughlin FitzGerald, P.C. We represent clients throughout Connecticut in dog bite and dog accident injury claims. To schedule a free consultation, contact our law office in Wallingford, Connecticut.
Put Our Experience To Work For You
Our team of skilled personal injury lawyers has more than 100 years of combined experience. We have advocated on behalf of many clients who have been injured by dogs. We have experience in cases involving serious injuries, including bites to the face and bites that have caused severe scarring. As skilled negotiators and trial lawyers, we can provide the vigorous representation you require.
Contact A New Haven Dog Bite Injury Attorney
We handle all personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis, so you pay no fees to us unless we recover compensation for you. To schedule a free consultation with a Connecticut dog bite injury lawyer at our firm, call 866-475-8805 or contact us by email.